Thursday, December 1
say buh-bye Wal-Mart, mmm kay?
It's nice to know that here in the Miami metro, as in Texas and California and the Northeast, and I guess about anywhere these days, that cities are outright outlawing big-box retail stores.
However, they don't exactly exclude your Home Depots, your Targets, your mid-size stores. No, they mostly aim for banning Wal-Mart. Do you blame them? I only step foot in there if I am broke and have a hankering for low-priced no-name goods from China OR if I actually want to catch a communicable disease.
Back home in Austin, Wal-Mart was NOT welcome in some parts as can be read here in one shining example. At the time, I lived a few miles from this location and could not imagine precious green space demolished just so the Bentonville family could make a few more million.
Here in Miami-Dade, the topic is big-box centers in Coconut Grove. You really can't go ANYwhere in the U.S. without some sort of opposition to Wal-Mart in some mindset.
Of course, Wal-Mart thinks just by changing the exterior design/size and "blending" in with the neighborhood that it lessens the impact.
Uhh, no.
May I direct you here for more insight.
Maybe you will understand why the Forbest Richest 100 include so many Waltons.
I guess the one thing that I *should* be grateful for Wal-Mart, painful as it is to admit, is they have this nice little policy of allowing RVers to stay overnight in their parking lots - well most of them anyway. When you can't find a vacancy at a cheap hotel, and Wal-Mart is nearby, it's really nice to just drive over and park for the night.
Other than that, Wal-Mart will have a hard time keeping the billions coming in, so long as the public is smart.
However, they don't exactly exclude your Home Depots, your Targets, your mid-size stores. No, they mostly aim for banning Wal-Mart. Do you blame them? I only step foot in there if I am broke and have a hankering for low-priced no-name goods from China OR if I actually want to catch a communicable disease.
Back home in Austin, Wal-Mart was NOT welcome in some parts as can be read here in one shining example. At the time, I lived a few miles from this location and could not imagine precious green space demolished just so the Bentonville family could make a few more million.
Here in Miami-Dade, the topic is big-box centers in Coconut Grove. You really can't go ANYwhere in the U.S. without some sort of opposition to Wal-Mart in some mindset.
Of course, Wal-Mart thinks just by changing the exterior design/size and "blending" in with the neighborhood that it lessens the impact.
Uhh, no.
May I direct you here for more insight.
Maybe you will understand why the Forbest Richest 100 include so many Waltons.
I guess the one thing that I *should* be grateful for Wal-Mart, painful as it is to admit, is they have this nice little policy of allowing RVers to stay overnight in their parking lots - well most of them anyway. When you can't find a vacancy at a cheap hotel, and Wal-Mart is nearby, it's really nice to just drive over and park for the night.
Other than that, Wal-Mart will have a hard time keeping the billions coming in, so long as the public is smart.
